This year started with a creative challenge.
Like most artists, in my normal practice I often work on multiple pieces at once. Sometimes this is a deliberate strategy to create a cohesive series. Sometimes it is just a necessity to use time productively. Whilst waiting for layers on one piece to dry, I will work on a different piece.
A consequence of this though, can mean that over time the studio fills with incomplete projects. My objective this January was to work through all the unfinished projects I could dig out, and attempt to bring them to completion.
First to be tackled was a set of 15cm (6”) square canvas boards. Initially intended to be collated into one larger patchwork style piece, they had received their first base layers several years ago but then relegated to a drawer and long since forgotten.
These days I normally work on a much larger scale, typically 100cm (39”) or bigger, so it was a challenge to come back down and work within such a limited surface area.
The first thing I realised was that of course the same amount of thought has to go in to deciding the composition, colours and techniques of each piece as with bigger works.
Once I got into the rhythm though, the sense of limited risk involved allowed a freedom to experiment, which yielded some unexpected and exciting results.
I am thrilled with the final collection, and am pleased to be able to offer the finished pieces, which are now all available to purchase here.